Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sultry Saturdays: Business or Pleasure...Erotic Author Ashley Ladd #Erotica #MM #Contemporary

SULTRY SATURDAYS







The Vamp, Maya DeLeina, presents erotic romance author, Ashely Ladd.

 

Ashley is here "dishing" up an article that is quite entertaining and unique.
 

And check out her book feature, Business or Pleasure from Totally Bound Publishing.

 

 


I Made Calzones Today

By Ashley Ladd


I made calzones today.


One, I love calzones. Two, one of my best friends sells Avon and I wanted to support her business and there was a cool-looking calzone press in the Avon book. So I bought it.


This was my first time making calzones so I searched for a calzone recipe. Since I didn’t find one in any of my cook books, I searched online and found a simple-looking one on Food Network by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. My family loves watching her show and all her recipes we’ve tried.


So my son, daughter, and I went grocery shopping for the ingredients. We bought frozen bread dough, sweet Italian sausage, Marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, and spinach. When we got home we thawed the dough and sausage.


Then the real fun began. It was a trial in cooking as we’d never made calzones before. Before we knew it, we were caked in flour and tripping over one another. We struggled to roll out the dough thin enough. My daughter misheard me and added triple the amount of Parmesan cheese than the recipe called for. Then we debated how to divide the basic filling among us as some people wanted spinach and mushrooms and some didn’t. I forgot to spray PAM on the pan and the first calzone broke apart when we tried to peel it off the foil. Then my daughter dropped her piece on the floor and the dogs had a great dinner.


The kids (and the dogs) thought the calzones were “amazing”. My husband, always the critic, thought it was too doughy and didn’t have enough meat. 


Making this calzone reminded me of writing a book then sending it out into the world to be enjoyed and reviewed.


First, when I write a book, I struggle to find an idea for the story. Some ideas come as easily as shopping in an Avon catalogue. I shop around for inspiration until a gem of a story takes root and sprouts in my mind.


Then I plot what comes next, just like I bought the right groceries for the calzone. In this case, my fellow chefs acted as my critique group, giving input, helping to shape the final outcome of my dish.


Then we ate and reviewed the dish. Five out of six people (and two dogs) enjoyed it. The sixth gave it a poor review. The first five look forward to eating the calzones again much as readers would look forward to reading my next book. The sixth probably doesn’t want to eat my calzone again. If he was a reader, he probably wouldn’t buy my next book.


I feel pretty good about the people who like my creation. Yet, I still feel down about the one who didn’t appreciate my hard work and creative genius.


Still I know it’s all part and parcel of cooking for a family. No matter how hard I try, sometimes somebody’s going to dislike some of the food. It’s the same with my books. Some people will like them and some people won’t.


Sometimes I’m the reader who doesn’t like the book, or the diner who doesn’t like the dinner. We all have different taste buds just like we have different taste in books.


A poor review is not worth getting upset about anymore than the dropped calzone. Something good will come of it. My dogs were ecstatic.




Business or Pleasure



Blurb:

Guy Rogers is extremely attracted to his new realtor, Tom Beaudreaux. As a passionate vegetarian and animal activist, he’s ecstatic that Tom is a kindred soul. He could never be with a carnivore. Unfortunately, Tommy isn’t really a vegetarian or animal activist. He never said he was either, he just didn’t eat meat when he was with Guy. And maybe he emptied his house of all meat and dairy products before inviting Guy over. In fact, Tommy’s family owns the most popular barbecue restaurant in town and if his family has their way, he’ll manage the new location.



When Guy finds out that Tommy eats meat and his family owns a restaurant that is a monument to eating meat, he’s livid and doesn’t know if he wants anything else to do with Tommy.



But then Guy’s life gets crazy –his dad’s paranoia blossoms into violent dementia, he gets arrested for picketing a doggy mill, and then he winds up in even more legal trouble. When Tommy sticks by him through all his trouble and does everything he can to help him, Guy wonders if he’s been too militant and narrow-minded. Perhaps he can learn to live with people who have opposite views.

Excerpt:
Guy’s dad, Glen, bailed him out of jail with a furrowed brow and a crinkled nose. As he stuffed his wallet into his pants’ pocket, he sniffed. “If your poor mother was alive, she’d be bawling her eyes out at this shame. Why can’t you learn to live and let live? If people want to follow the Good Book’s teachings and eat the food God gave us, you shouldn’t go around sticking your nose in their business.”

Guy rubbed his aching wrists the handcuffs had made raw. Then he swallowed a deep breath that hurt his lungs as he followed his father to his beat-up van. “Look who’s talking about live and let live.”

“It ain’t natural for men to love men, to sleep with men. He intended for you to meet up with a good woman and give me some grandchildren before I die. Now don’t be waiting too long. I want to be in good enough shape to enjoy them.”

Not this again! Guy twisted his hands together to keep from wringing his dad’s neck and winding up back in the pokey. “Your God is a forgiving, forgetting god, or did you forget? He’s the only one supposed to judge.”

My god? He’s your god, too. You’d best start paying attention to His word, then you mightn’t be so darned pissed off all the time and marching around with that band of lunatics.”

By now he should know that the best way to win this argument was not to get involved, so he shut up. He had to put some distance between himself and his old man soon! Like yesterday.

“Calm down, Dad, before you give yourself another heart attack.”

“You should’ve thought of that before you went picketing that farm. At least you didn’t show up on TV and shame me in front of all my church friends. Don’t you be blabbing about what you’ve been up to. No one wants to hear it. And I don’t want that old coot next door or any of his followers to hear.”

Guy couldn’t help but retort, “The old guy next door is harmless. His daughter says he never leaves the house, that he can barely walk. He’s almost ninety.”

Glen peered at him as if he was crazy. “That’s why he gets his followers to do his dirty work. He’s been jealous of me for years.”

As much as his dad annoyed him, he loved him with his whole heart and didn’t want him to get sick. At seventy-one, he was frailer than most men his age. And he was obsessed with the neighbor, Mr Cary, to the point of being paranoid. Soon, he might have to go into an assisted living environment, but he was fighting it. If he tried to put his dad there now, he’d have the biggest battle on his hands in their history.

“Let’s drop it. I’m tired and hungry.”

Glen shook his finger at Guy. “You’ll be sorry when I’m proven right. I fixed some dinner, but of course, you won’t be wanting any of it seeing as it’s animal flesh and potatoes.”

Guy convulsed and almost threw up. “No. I don’t want that.”

When they got home, bile rose in Guy’s throat. Not only were the leftovers raw, bloody and mutilated, they were in his best pan!

Disgusted and angrier than he’d ever been in his life, he flung the pan in the garbage. The thing was no good to him anymore. He wasn’t going to put his food in a casket!

It was time to move out.

 


Buy Links:


https://www.totallybound.com/business-or-pleasure




About the Author

Ashley Ladd is a disabled Air Force vet that is hard of hearing but still loves language, especially the written word. She loves a sexy man, especially one with a military background and they’ll often pop up in her stories. 

She also loves cats and has been known to empower a cat with the gift of speech. 

Unfortunately he wouldn’t shut up. J She loves to plug into Pandora and sip Diet Coke while writing, usually with a cat or kid at her side.





How you can contact Ashley: chinara@aol.com

Find Ashley at:














About the Host
 Maya DeLeina is a multi-published Erotic Vampire Romance Author  with Siren,  Evernight and Ellora's Cave Publishing.

 Her current series includes Ambrose Heights Vampires, My Naughty Vampire and Vampire Architects.

Born and raised on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, Maya could be seen at her favorite beach, Lanikai, performing with an all-girl band where she played keyboards, guitar and provided vocals, working as editor in her high school's yearbook  and volunteering her time at a humane society through UH of Manoa civic groups.

In 2006, Maya relocated to Colorado. Her crystal blue oceans, waterfalls and eighty degree year-round weather were traded for four season weather, enchanting forests and majestic mountains which led to her rekindled love for vampires.

In winter of 2010, she began penning her first manuscript and by 2011, Flesh Fantasy was under contract and released by Siren Publishing. To date, Maya has published four novels- Flesh Fantasy, Veil of Seduction, Blood of Luna and Dark Companion, with another novel and a novella anticipated for release in September and December of  2014.

In 2014, she banded with other Colorado romance authors to form the group, Mile High Muses, in which Maya serves as "The Vamp". Catch her Forbidden Fruit Friday blog and guests she hosts on Sultry Saturdays

Not only does Maya have theatrical book trailers that bring her vampires to life, all of her vampires were featured in Singer/Songwriter Jill Cohn's music video "Blessing Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment